LM4 5.3L and 4L60E swap into 2004 LJ

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I finally put the Rusty's radiator skid back on. The Moab Must Do list is now complete... :(

It fit fine with the Superior radiator, I just had to bend the hard section of the power steering line a little to keep the rubber part from rubbing a sharp edge on the bottom of the radiator.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I finally did some careful measuring after talking to @matth_85 about the AC bracket on his Camaro. The low mount Dirty Dingo hotrod mount would fit between the frame, but the upper control arm would hit the tensioner assembly with just a couple inches of up travel. So, I'll be using the Dave's high mount bracket I have.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Tripp and I did some pressure differential testing on my jeep and compared to his today. Results show the under hood pressure increases with speed, and similar results with both our jeeps.

20200703_171243_resized.jpg

With the Moab trip coming up, I don't really want to take any chances on the fix for the running hot. I plan to do everything I can to bring temps down and hope that some or all of it helps. I'm going to remove the fog lights, do a remote trans cooler, and vent the hood.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Made the first step in cooling upgrades today. I probably wouldn't have cut a straight hood, but since it was already bent...

20200725_133736.jpg
20200725_140850.jpg

I decided not to use the 2 longer vents down each side because they would be directly over my GM ECU and the fuse panel. I may get the smaller rectangle ones that go between the windshield bumpers and footman loop.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I messed around with the little power steering cooler the other day and couldn't come up with a way I liked to mount it or run the lines, so I ditched that for a Derale 13260 dual pass heat sink style cooler. It sits on top of my radiator skid plate like it was made for it.
20200801_112804.jpg

And Tripp and I got the trans cooler mounted, wired, and plumbed.
20200801_161829.jpg

Side note, if you don't already have yourself a dedicated garage flavor injector needle, you need one. I recommend the OXO good grips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074GD57XY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

This makes pulling fluid out of reservoirs (brakes, power steering) and topping off those hard to reach items (tcase, diffs) a breeze.
20200801_164709.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Dave's Customs Unlimited high mount AC installed. Things got tight in there, but it fits. The buick heater hoses have an aluminum section that incorporates the steam port, so the only mod was extending the steam hose to the intake.

Now to figure out fittings and hoses. If anyone knows of a shop in SC that would take it and make the hoses and pull a vacuum, I'm listening. I'm running out of time.

20200809_150929.jpg

20200809_174748.jpg

20200809_174800.jpg

Not sure If he’d have time or if you feel like making the trek to gray court but Todd can do all of that if you’re interested in taking it I can check with him tomorrow

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Not sure If he’d have time or if you feel like making the trek to gray court but Todd can do all of that if you’re interested in taking it I can check with him tomorrow
Problem is its not wired yet to engage compressor so I guess it can't be charged till I get that done. I was thinking get hoses done, wire, then charge.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This AC system has been a learning experience.

20200812_190841.jpg

Tripp and I realized pretty quickly when looking for fittings that something wasn't right. I was searching on ColdHose and Tripp was looking at Jeepair, and he was like "Where is that company located?" and I was like "Ocala Fl" and he was like whats the address and... To the point, AirParts, ColdHose, and JeepAir are all the same company. With this new found knowledge I called them the next day (technical support is only available 10am - 2pm Mon-Thurs)

Trish at AirParts has been extremely helpful. She set me straight that the vintage air system uses the drier on the high side and I had to use an accumulator like the jeep did from the factory. She gave me some part numbers for GM accumulators with threaded fittings. I ran up to Oreilys and with their interchange got an accumulator. She said the part number was for sae thread accumulator, but what I got from Oreilys was metric threads. Custom hoses so I proceed but I can't find one of the fittings I need in metric. I email Trish again and she says somethings not right, it should be sae. Oreilys orders another one next day thinking wrong part in box (picture is of what I need and doesn't match part). New part is same as first.

Trish says no problem, I have one here. We'll build your hoses and send it. So I use the metric one for mockup and proceed.

I get all my part numbers together again and the condensor end fitting with HPS shows out of stock. She says they can custom make something, no problem.

I just ran through the whole system with her again and I'm about to send off this box. The compressor to condenser hose was close enough to the stock one that I was able to cut and bend for a mock up. I'm also including a coat wire mockup of the accumulator to compressor.

20200813_104024.jpg
20200813_104032.jpg
20200813_104040.jpg
20200813_104103.jpg