LM4 5.3L and 4L60E swap into 2004 LJ

Locktite probably isn't going to work, you use heat to remove red locktite. You might need distorted thread nuts if new bolts doesn't fix it... I might would even try to tighten them when they are hot (expanded) and let them cool.
I need to try this on the ferd. She gots a little ticky ticky

Good thing you have access to tall garages. the Schools garages are smaaaaaallll. I shrug my head everytime i go under a cross beam in my Wrangler. The CB antenna hits every one

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Good thing you have access to tall garages. the Schools garages are smaaaaaallll. I shrug my head everytime i go under a cross beam in my Wrangler. The CB antenna hits every one
I have a clip on the tailgate to fold the antenna down when I drive it to work. It hits every one of those horizontal beams, and if it gets to swinging and hits one when its forward I'm afraid it would break it.

This garage clearance is 6'8". The white truck radio antenna hit every sign and it was only a couple inches above the cab.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We worked a couple hours today cleaning up wiring and getting everything connected.

20191124_163306.jpg

Tripp cut a plastic panel that mounts where the Jeep ecu went. We put a positive and negative bus bar on the panel and ran most items to that. There's still a couple things to add and I've ordered some big split loom to combine some of the runs.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
First refuel, about 12.5 mpg on the first tank and I was never easy on it. Pretty sure its rich too. Taking it easy and after a tune, I see no reason why it wouldn't exceed the 4.0 mileage of 14.5.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The stock jeep radiator cap was bad and wasnt building pressure. I got a new cap, drove it a little, then drained the straight water Sunday morning and put in coolant. Sunday night there's a puddle under it. New cap, system built pressure, water pump leaking. What's another 100 bucks at this point... :rolleyes:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Wasn't a bad job, but I looked at that motor sitting on the pallet so many times thinking I should have changed thermostat, water pump, etc just to be safe. I didn't, and now I've changed both within the first 200 miles.
20191203_200755.jpg 20191203_212959.jpg

Took about 2 hours start to finish working slow and cleaning things up. Not adding it to the log since it's more of a maintenance thing, not conversion.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Nothing I could come up with using off the shelf elbows and tubing would fit the filter like I wanted. I was showing Tripp my assortment of intake pieces a couple weeks ago and he went out to his truck, got his laptop, and started drawing. It had to be one piece that would fit the MAF and hold the filter, with a very tight bend.
20191209_202425.jpg
Now to mount it. Theres a stud from the headlight assembly that I planned to run through the end plate of the filter and put a nut on it from the inside. But the stud wasnt long enough to get a nut started. So, called Tripp last night and came up with this idea, and back to the shop.
received_2309037759200873.jpeg

Internally threaded M5 x 0.8 to fit and extend the stud, externally threaded for a 3/8 nut to secure the filter.

The Bolt extension is made of a piece of ?Delrin? that I tooled on the Lathe. When i bought my lathe one of the drawers was full of short plastic drops, they have come in handy so far. The part was completely eyeball engineered, if i had to make it again i would machine a flat on it, but for now it works... Every Time I make something on the lathe, im reminded of the lack of lathe tooling i own....

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Intake is finished up and looks like it will work perfectly.

Started on oil pan skid. This tube will get the front of the pan past the exhaust crossover and give me something to build supports off of.

20191210_213342.jpg