LM4 5.3L and 4L60E swap into 2004 LJ

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The s10 ls conversion headers came in today. The collector touches the starter but it looks like I can make this work :unsure: I'll just need to flatten one side of the collector. Hope to make some progress this weekend.

20190808_205155.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
The flange or tubing? Please don't flatten tubes....would get more out of a manifold than a dented/flattened header...
The three bolt collector. It looks like I just need to flap wheel the collector a little bit. Didnt get to look at it this weekend because we had a yard sale Saturday and something went in my back yesterday and I pretty much didnt move.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I got a few good hours in today. Started with exhaust. The collector on the passenger side hit the boss for the starter bolt. I wonder if this boss is bigger on the aluminum blocks than the iron? Anyway, I was able to round off that boss and have sufficient clearance.
20190818_093046.jpg

20190818_093931.jpg

Then I made it look like a Jeep again.
20190818_112938.jpg

And put plug wires all on.
20190818_112950.jpg

Then I messed with the transmission shifter. I was able to get full range with the jeep shifter, just need to get a metal bushing for the jeep cable end to be able to tighten the linkage and not bind the cable. Down the road I'll have to make a new comb plate if I want to keep the function of the shifter button, lock in park, etc.
20190818_133437.jpg

And I replaced the jeep regulator with the novak bypass.
20190818_145217.jpg

I also got the gm harness routed and everything plugged back in. So next on the list is fuel lines and radiator hoses.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I had hoped to keep the transmission cooler hard lines up to the front of the motor then a short piece of rubber hose, but the cooler ports are on the wrong side of this radiator. After looking at is last weekend, we decided it would be better to run flexible lines and cross over the trans tunnel to the drivers side and come up that way. This will avoid any interference with exhaust routing also.

I ordered the Russell 640520 adapters that are 1/4" NPSM to -6AN. I'll order 1/4" NPT to -6 fittings for the radiator once I see if I need straight or 90°.

Power steering hose... I have to have the tj pressure line end to tuck tight on the box and under the grill, but it's way too long and the bends are wrong on the pump end (threads are correct). Anybody know where to get a custom hose with a factory jeep box end?

There's a place in Augusta that makes custom hydraulic hoses for all sorts of things from super small to really large metric size included. They are on Gorden highway about 2 miles past the Savannah river on the right. They probably could make what you need.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yesterday we had to go to Clemson for my niece's first birthday, but before we went I checked everywhere in town about doing custom power steering hoses, and struck out. I started looking at fittings to make hoses myself, knowing that if I had a hose made and something went wrong in Harlan or Moab I'd be done.

This morning @Twilliamson stopped by to deliver a sweet bushing he made on the lathe, and agreed on making a hose. Then I started fiddling with the factory line again and figured out how to route it. It ain't pretty, but it'll work and it's on the shelf at parts stores.
20190825_125110.jpg

Tripp made a brass bushing for my transmission linkage, so I finished that up and adjusted it. The shifter works well and the comb plate wont even need to be modified.
20190825_135031.jpg

I also pulled the throttle pedal out and got my plan together for that, but didnt have time to break out the welder. Jeep pedal on right, yukon xl on left. With a little modification, the gm pedal bolts to the firewall with one of the factory studs, but it's too high and too close to the tunnel.
20190825_103652.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Sunday I placed a few orders for additional fittings, power steering reservoir and supply hose, etc. Ordered 1 wrong item and forgot 1 item, so the rest of that will be here Saturday.

Today I called Carolina Driveline and ordered a rear driveshaft.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Yesterday I coordinated with Tom to pick up the driveshaft from him in Chapin today. Since we were heading over that way anyway, we went to the plex and met up with Brooks and family, ate lunch then got the driveshaft.

Since our local Napa is only open 7:30-5:30 during the week, and 7:30-noon on Saturday, and I only had Napa part numbers for the hoses that "should" work, and autozone couldn't cross reference those numbers, I was at Napa at 7:30 before heading to Chapin. They didn't have the hose I was looking for in stock, but I went in the back with my wire templates and browsed. I found two that looked like they would work.

Lower hose is Napa 708.
Upper is Napa 9049.

With surgery, they fit pretty well.
20190831_161738.jpg
20190831_160017.jpg
20190831_161233.jpg

The lower hose I took it slow, cutting a little at a time, and it came out as well as I could expect. The upper, I chopped the end off and got lucky because I almost cut it top short.

Question... the upper water neck is 1 5/16 or 1 3/8. The radiator fitting is 1 1/4. The hose fits the water neck, but its loose on the radiator. Is there a reducer or something to tighten it up? I saw some hoses that changed sizes over their length, or had a bell end, but finding something like that that fits right is unlikely.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Then I tackled the throttle pedal modification. I took a piece of 2" tape as a line and cut that out of the pedal arm.
20190831_171138.jpg
20190831_172210.jpg
20190831_173155.jpg
I test fit, final welded, and painted. I'll install it tomorrow.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
This morning started with yard work. What was supposed to be ~1 hour turned into cutting trees and working until lunch time. Went to my parents for lunch, hung out, kids played, so didnt get but a couple hours of jeep work in. But, still made progress.

I mounted the throttle pedal. It doesn't look like it in the picture, but it's where I want it left to right. It could be lower and farther back, but if I cut more out of it it will get too close to the brake pedal. I'm going to leave it like this for now and see how it works, but may move it down the road.
20190901_165616.jpg

The two round stud heads are where the jeep pedal mounted. I'm using the lower one and the bolt up by where the throttle cable came through is the top mount.
20190901_174014.jpg

The Buick had aluminum heater hoses with quick connect hoses to the heater core. The 3/4 one points straight at the jeep heater core, so I pulled the plastic quick connect piece off and slid the hose over like a hose barb. The 5/8 one turned 90 degrees, so I couldn't use it, so replaced it from the water pump.
20190901_173913.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I wasn't ready to actually install it, but I had to go ahead and test fit this beautiful piece of hardware.
20190901_181337.jpg
I can count on one hand the companies that continually impress me with their customer service, and Carolina Driveline is in that elite group. Ordered at lunch on Thursday, picked up Saturday.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I invited Tripp over this morning for breakfast, then we got a couple hours of work in. Started by mounting the fender so we could figure out where the ecu will fit, and made and ran the transmission cooler lines. I have to make up some kind of bracket to mount the ps reservoir, but I know where it needs to go.
20190902_123208.jpg
20190902_123229.jpg