• Welcome to the New OffroadSC - We have successfully migrated to our new Non-Profit Servers. Our team has been working hard to make this migration as smooth as possible. If you experience any issues, please let us know via the Housekeeping > Technical Problems Section.

LM4 5.3L and 4L60E swap into 2004 LJ

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Sunday night I went ahead and ordered the Dave's Customs high mount ac brackets to catch the end of the July 4th sale.

Today I ordered a set of ebay block hugger headers. After much contemplation $76 is a pretty good deal for not hunting for factory manifolds that might work.

Also ordered plugs, wires, a couple pieces of the fuel system and some AN wrenches.

I'm not counting general maintenance items or tool costs in my overall tracking.

Piddled for about an hour tonight. I removed the tub mounted tcase shifter bracket to make way for the Novak cable shifter. Also removed the reservoir from the Buick ps pump and ordered an LSx concepts adapter to remote mount the tank. I removed the low oil sensor plug and put in an ICT Billet plug. Also installed the jeep water temp sensor at back of passenger head using ICT adapter. Not sure if this is going to work yet as it sticks way out. Might need a 90 or could drill out the M12 hole and tap 3/8" npt???

Piddled for about an hour tonight. I removed the tub mounted tcase shifter bracket to make way for the Novak cable shifter. Also removed the reservoir from the Buick ps pump and ordered an LSx concepts adapter to remote mount the tank. I removed the low oil sensor plug and put in an ICT Billet plug. Also installed the jeep water temp sensor at back of passenger head using ICT adapter. Not sure if this is going to work yet as it sticks way out. Might need a 90 or could drill out the M12 hole and tap 3/8" npt???
just thinking about all of these little steps scares the shit out of me.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I was honestly more worried about the major things like the motor mounts...when they just "dropped" in... i was happy.
Yeah, the hard physical work is done. My main worry at this point is the wiring, but I'm confident in Tripp's skills. Other minor concerns are packaging everything under the hood and on fenders, and fuel plumbing/pressure.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
just thinking about all of these little steps scares the shit out of me.
I'll do a more in depth analysis when we get closer to the end, but I had a pretty good idea of the issues we'd face and had plan b in place for the known things.

Things like the recommendation to run a high mount ac bracket, I thought I could be cheap and avoid it. As soon as the motor was test fit, you can tell why its recommended. Unless you have a 6" lift with 5" bump stops, or a drivers side 3 link, the factory ac isn't going to work. I wasted time and money hunting a truck ac bracket and compressor because I knew the Buick one wouldn't work, just to have the truck one not work either.

Same with manifolds. I could have made a camaro manifold work on drivers side, but the 02 bung would have to be plugged and it has egr I dont need. Just buy the headers...

The power steering tank was unexpected. I had never seen anyone mention that because I guess the truck pump and reservoir fits. This turned out to not be a bad thing as the Buick pump is a GM type II or Saginaw TC pump.

Last edited:
I love what you're doing because ultimately this will be a really thorough guide to a TJ/LJ LS swap. There will always be minor variations, but the points you are covering like AC bracket, headers, etc. will wind up saving someone else some trouble.
agreed, a total list of all parts purchased and what you needed and didnt need would be awesome.

Meant to post this a while ago but this guy is also swapping an LS into his Jeep. Just a TJ but I figure it's got to be similar enough. Has a whole build video going on. Fair warning he is a crazy Canadian haha