Just another Green 98 TJ Sahara

I have a couple decisions to make. I would like some input.

1) The front axle was previously setup with a CJ style locking hub setup, That was removed before i purchased the axle. It has splined chromos on the stub side. The easiest thing would be to grab some chromo sub shafts and convert back to unit bearings. BUT wasn't sure if there was a economically comparable option for putting locking hubs on a D44. Looks like you might could do a WJ conversion and get bigger brakes as well, but that swap doesn't seem as well documented anymore.

2) Body Lift - Looking at everything in the instructions and just general knowledge, looks like I'm going to need a 1inch body lift to make everything work "better". This is a multi-part question.
  • The Teraflex kit i got came with a 5/8 spacer that is to be used as a motor mount lift. I'm cool with that, as the other 3rd party full replacement lifts seem to induce a lot of engine vibes into the jeep. Should I NOT use the shim spacer for the motor mount lift?
  • The Teraflex kit also included a plate for relocating the transfer case shifter linkage. I have NEVER had a issues with the t-case popping out of gear before, but i understand I'm about to change all the factory geometry. Order a cable shifter right?
  • Body lifts. I had been looking at all of the different puck style lifts when I ran across the Daystar KJ04508BK 1" Polyurethane Body Mount Lift Kit. This kit replaces the factory bushings and does not reuse them, one piece design. Comments?
Budget of this project is a small part my concern, I would rather go ahead and spend a bit more now and build something more reliable then cut corners and have to work on it again in a year, or be fighting gremlins.

1) The front axle was previously setup with a CJ style locking hub setup, That was removed before i purchased the axle. It has splined chromos on the stub side. The easiest thing would be to grab some chromo sub shafts and convert back to unit bearings. BUT wasn't sure if there was a economically comparable option for putting locking hubs on a D44. Looks like you might could do a WJ conversion and get bigger brakes as well, but that swap doesn't seem as well documented anymore.

2) Body Lift - Looking at everything in the instructions and just general knowledge, looks like I'm going to need a 1inch body lift to make everything work "better". This is a multi-part question.
  • The Teraflex kit i got came with a 5/8 spacer that is to be used as a motor mount lift. I'm cool with that, as the other 3rd party full replacement lifts seem to induce a lot of engine vibes into the jeep. Should I NOT use the shim spacer for the motor mount lift?
  • The Teraflex kit also included a plate for relocating the transfer case shifter linkage. I have NEVER had a issues with the t-case popping out of gear before, but i understand I'm about to change all the factory geometry. Order a cable shifter right?
  • Body lifts. I had been looking at all of the different puck style lifts when I ran across the Daystar KJ04508BK 1" Polyurethane Body Mount Lift Kit. This kit replaces the factory bushings and does not reuse them, one piece design. Comments?
Budget of this project is a small part my concern, I would rather go ahead and spend a bit more now and build something more reliable then cut corners and have to work on it again in a year, or be fighting gremlins.
1. The WJ conversion is well documented, its all factory parts, but makes you run a spacer or WJ knuckles. It gives you high steer which is nice, but means you need to relocate your tracbar.
2. Don't do a MML with a poly bushin, spacers under the factory mount are better at isolating vibration.
Same answer goes for the BL, i would avoid poly to keep the vibrations down.

Having problems finding GOOD info on the WJ conversion, besides one article on JCRs site but I will keep looking.
But I really like the idea of going to the dual piston brakes. I would imagine that makes a noticeable difference in stopping power.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/wj-brake-swap-cheap-260815/

One possible plus, can you run the WJ unit bearing also and then have 5 on 5 alreadY?
Yeah, I looked into that but I didn't want to change my trackbar and steering. In Tripp's case he'll be modifying all that anyway so it would make sense.

I'll add, you're still going to need a wheel spacer instead of a wheel adapter unless your new wheels are the backspacing you need without spacers, so consider that with tj vs wj bearings...

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
As discussed, I have the majority of 2 body lifts. When I do the raised body mounts you could have the complete plastic puck one or mix and match aluminum and plastic. I'm just using 5 of the aluminum packs.

20220328_160353.jpg

If budget isn't a huge concern, I'd just go ahead and order a cable. Especially with yours not being completely rust free underneath, you're going to fight with that tub bracket.

As discussed, I have the majority of 2 body lifts. When I do the raised body mounts you could have the complete plastic puck one or mix and match aluminum and plastic. I'm just using 5 of the aluminum packs.

View attachment 22685

If budget isn't a huge concern, I'd just go ahead and order a cable. Especially with yours not being completely rust free underneath, you're going to fight with that tub bracket.
I would go cable even if money is a concern, cable is night and day!

My jeep came with the Daystar lift I like how its a one piece design. Mine is currently missing the grill support that i need to find.

My jeep came with the Daystar lift I like how its a one piece design. Mine is currently missing the grill support that i need to find.
That's what mine has as well. Also have the brown dog motor mount lift and it's a nice unit. Keeping the belly up makes a huge difference in what that thing is capable of.

I think the conversation around the body lift is to retain the factory body isolation mounts and add a spacer or replace the body isolators with taller ones. I think @97TJGUZZY may be onto something with keeping rubber involved whenever possible. the belly up pan kit comes with a a shim to lift the engine, I would assume its enough to make the skid fit. It won't be completely flat, but exponentially higher up (marketing claims 2-2.75 inches. . 1648647401279.png 1648647409693.png

So a little status update. The suspension has all been installed, The rear is complete minus a driveshaft and bleeding the brakes. The front is hung on the control arms, but still ALOT of work left to do. Decided while i was rebuilding/upgrading to do the WJ knuckle conversion and a PSC Hydro assist. So lots of "figuring out" still left to do with the steering and track bar.
1682428726338.png
This was before getting the control arms set, its about perfectly centered.
1682428743849.png