Duramtown Tellico aug 28,29,30th Report

I had a great time. George you just need to drink from a bottle and not a can. Hopefully next time my shocks will be dialed in a little more so we can go faster! Plus the turbo should go on soon. That and the new 4.10 gears should really wake it up.

I agree that the price was a little steep. Riding wasn't bad, but at every turn it seemed to cost another $20. They need to charge by the site or the cabin. Not by the person. It should also be noted on the website that all camping is trailside and you won't get your tow rig in. That will dramatically change how you pack.

Thanks for the write-up guys. Sounds pretty similar to what I heard from Burkey after he rode up there to take a shot at the bounty hill. Based on that camping price and trail conditions I'd seen and heard, there are several other spots I'd pick over that currently. With more time, and more wheels on the trail it should get better.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
How far is Crawfords from it? I have a friend in Hayesville I was going to stay with when I finally get up there. So stocker xj or beast on 42's?
Crawfords is 10 miles, 20-30 minute drive.

There is a statement about the camping and towing trailers to the sites on their websitr. It says if you have any concerns, call.

I got an email this morning from them saying we are new and want all the feedback we can get. Everyone that went should reply, good or bad. Say that you thought the camping price was high, recommended a per site fee, etc.

As far as trail riding price goes, you have 3,000 acres and 40+ miles of trails for the same price per day as gulches. Nothing against gulches, but it all depends on what kind of riding we want to do.

Crawfords is 10 miles, 20-30 minute drive.

There is a statement about the camping and towing trailers to the sites on their websitr. It says if you have any concerns, call.

I got an email this morning from them saying we are new and want all the feedback we can get. Everyone that went should reply, good or bad. Say that you thought the camping price was high, recommended a per site fee, etc.

As far as trail riding price goes, you have 3,000 acres and 40+ miles of trails for the same price per day as gulches. Nothing against gulches, but it all depends on what kind of riding we want to do.
I don't mind the riding fee one bit, and I actually like the camping set up. Works out good for someone like me who will be driving the same rig I'm camping from. We've just been spoiled with Harlan and a few other places over the years.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Send feed back to this email:
christie@durhamtown.com
Yep, it was an email from Christie, who I guess is the lady working the front office. I suggested they need someone directing traffic and parking. The road in was blocked twice while we were checking in (once by me).

Here's the disclaimer for access to their campsites:

Durhamtown said:
Access to Our Campsites
Camping is part of the Full Adventure at Durhamtown Tellico. All campsites are located at least 2 miles into the heart of our park. Roads and trails to our our campsites are steep, narrow and curvy and may be a challenge for certain types of vehicles and trailer combinations. Also, weather and trail conditions may affect the accessibility of our campsites. Though it may be possible to tow a small pop-up camper, it is NOT practical to bring a travel trailer or motor-home. Higher clearance vehicles such as trucks and SUVs with 4WD are recommended. If you have any concerns regarding accessing our campsites with your vehicle and trailer combination, please contact us first!

I emailed her. Basically an over view of what we liked and disliked. Things won't get better if they don't know. After talking with another employee at the front desk I have a feeling things will stay the same as far as the camping fees are concerned. I told her it's going to be a tough sale when the prices get in the neighborhood of hotel rooms or exceed other parks with a shower facility. We shall see.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I compared their fees to crawfords, especially cabins. Crawfords has 4 person cabins with heat and ac for $30, theirs are $60. You pay for convenience to the trails, but still high...