Warn 8274 Rebuild

So, since OSCAR is canceled and I ran out of easy things to do to the Renegade last weekend I started disassembling the 8274 mainly to clean it up and reseal everything. So far all of the bearings and internals look fine. The brake assembly is giving me a fit getting it off...but I have it soaking with some penetrating oil on top of it now.

Now to why I started a thread... I know several of you have pulled one down to service, clean, rebuild...etc. and there are plenty of articles out there. But, what do you recommend while it's apart? Replace bearings anyway? Only replace seals? What about tapping for a retainer on the brake assembly? Best place to source rebuild parts?

A good soak in some PB blaster didn’t help that much but the BFH made it happen. Just a little tapping worked it off.
All of the bearings look great. The guts were really in good shape. Thinking I’ll do seals and a beautification of this ol’ girl.

C1C1AFCD-7D2D-4AE1-8703-EC419F316F93.jpeg

Give dad a shout. He completely restored that one on his 45. I think since the aluminum wouldnt clean up as well as he wanted he painted it to look like new aluminum...if i remember correctly.

I have rebuilt 4 of them now, and I'm about to tear mine apart for a similar rebuild. I ordered a seal kit from clemson 4 wheel 2 or 3 times and it worked well. It gives you the bushing that the drum rides on and the seal for that. Originally they were just aluminum, but the newer ones are powdercoated. I have used Engine Enamel in the Cast Iron Color and it seems to be a dead match to the new 8274 color.

Yeah. A friend of mine has a nice cabinet. Just be easy with it. I had it really clean so I was basically just getting it all to be the same color with the blasting.