Shop Floor Tech

When we built the original 30x30 section of the shop back in 2010 we sealed the concrete floor thinking that was the way to go. The middle bay that gets the most use and abuse the concrete has been in bad shape for quite some time. It is doing what they call "dusting". From what research I have done, the concrete was not mixed properly or finished properly when poured. Therefor the fines rose to the top and the top layer is softer and breaks down over time.

I am adding a section this spring (which has grown) 16'x30' and will be mating to the current slab...

I have found some articles claiming the slab has to be ground to remove the thin layer of shitty concrete but last night stumbled upon a YouTube video showing a guy using Liquid Sodium Silicate 40% in a 4:1 ratio with water. You spray it on and allow it to dry. It is supposed to harden the soft layer of concrete and seal it. If I can find the chemical, I think I am going to give this a go this weekend.

Did a transmission swap in a friends C-10 this past weekend and the amount of dirty from the floor was ridiculous.

Hoping that this will be a "quick fix". Anyone have any input?

When we built the original 30x30 section of the shop back in 2010 we sealed the concrete floor thinking that was the way to go. The middle bay that gets the most use and abuse the concrete has been in bad shape for quite some time. It is doing what they call "dusting". From what research I have done, the concrete was not mixed properly or finished properly when poured. Therefor the fines rose to the top and the top layer is softer and breaks down over time.

I am adding a section this spring (which has grown) 16'x30' and will be mating to the current slab...

I have found some articles claiming the slab has to be ground to remove the thin layer of shitty concrete but last night stumbled upon a YouTube video showing a guy using Liquid Sodium Silicate 40% in a 4:1 ratio with water. You spray it on and allow it to dry. It is supposed to harden the soft layer of concrete and seal it. If I can find the chemical, I think I am going to give this a go this weekend.

Did a transmission swap in a friends C-10 this past weekend and the amount of dirty from the floor was ridiculous.

Hoping that this will be a "quick fix". Anyone have any input?
I can't help ya there, but I have seen concrete do this in a garage before, it sucked because you couldnt just sweep it clean. I hope the Sodium Silicate helps!

Yes, it's a nightmare. That middle bay has seen some serious projects over the past ten years though. So, lots of wear and tear. If I can find the chemical I plan to try a section this weekend.