Lets Talk Welders - 2022

I'm in the market for a Welder. I'm not sure what I want yet, so why not ask the most opinionate group I know.... I have access to plenty of Mig Machines and would classify myself as a decent welder. I REALLY want a TIG machine - AC/DC. I can see myself doing more work on aluminum and thin steel after this jeep project is over. Right now my immediate need is for frame work on my jeep project, but I have a 220v inverter based Lincoln I can bring over for that project. So... In order of what i think i want here is what im looking at.

(Top Choice)
Miller Multimatic 220 AC/DC
1668603421640.png
AC/DC Tig - DC Mig in one machine.

(Second Choice)
INVERTIG 221 AC/DC SINGLE VOLTAGE (220V)
1668603560006.png

(Third Choice)
Square Wave™ TIG 200 & POWER MIG® 210 MP®
1668603629993.png

(Fourth Choice)
Vulcan ProTIG™ 205
1668603851117.png

Last edited:

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I've always heard that a dual process machine is going to compromise in both processes, but have never tig or used a dual process. Curious to see others' experience.

There's also something to be said for two machines where if one goes down you're not stuck, unless you're tigging aluminum and it goes down...

I've always heard that a dual process machine is going to compromise in both processes, but have never tig or used a dual process. Curious to see others' experience.

There's also something to be said for two machines where if one goes down you're not stuck, unless you're tigging aluminum and it goes down...
Those are vaild concerns. That new multi-process is getting really good reviews from the hobbyist style users. The idea of two machines is great, but i would have to stack them somehow. I also don't see any of my work being mission critical if a machine goes down it just delays a bit.

I know ESAB was making a name for themself throught the last couple of years.. I don't have any personal experience with any other than my Hobart. But may be something to look into..

Chuck loves his Everlast machine. I was planning to go that route when I bought a Tig setup.

But, you can't go wrong with a Miller product IMO.