Joined the RedTJ club... Kinda

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We had family visiting yesterday, so I didn't get into much on the jeep. I did accomplish 2 things I needed to do before the trip. I moved the GPS speedo antenna from under the dash up to the top of my radio mount plate. This involved folding the wimdshield to get my cluster out because the cage bar is too close.

Then I mounted the fire extinguisher with a little modification to the strap.

20200816_152011.jpg
20200816_152057.jpg

Then we went for ice cream.
20200816_161035.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I did away with the stock fogs for better airflow but I needed something to replace them. I have a 20" dual row light bar on the shelf but I couldn't make myself do it (for sale).
20200815_214535.jpg

This one i can live with.
20200820_193010.jpg
20200820_223227.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Against some people's advice, I opened the holes up in the bumper a little and installed flush floods. The biggest problem I have with driving in low light is seeing beside me at turns, etc. These should help alot with that.

20200823_122259.jpg
20200823_134532.jpg 20200823_162210.jpg

Now I'm working on body mounts...

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Ever since I swapped the booster and master cylinder, the reservoir has leaked. Either the cap threads were not good or the seam of the tank leaked, but fluid had to be low or the seam would be wet every time I drove it. I swapped caps with no change, so I swapped back to the old nasty yellow original resi.

20210329_221205.jpg

Also noticed my rear bump stops are done, and I must have hit something pretty hard in Moab...

20210329_202624.jpg

I had developed an exhaust leak again. Passenger side collector was leaking. I tightened it up and seams like it stopped the leak, but I ordered a set of better quality gaskets than what comes with the Chinese headers.

Ever since I swapped the booster and master cylinder, the reservoir has leaked. Either the cap threads were not good or the seam of the tank leaked, but fluid had to be low or the seam would be wet every time I drove it. I swapped caps with no change, so I swapped back to the old nasty yellow original resi.

View attachment 21460

Also noticed my rear bump stops are done, and I must have hit something pretty hard in Moab...

View attachment 21461

I had developed an exhaust leak again. Passenger side collector was leaking. I tightened it up and seams like it stopped the leak, but I ordered a set of better quality gaskets than what comes with the Chinese headers.
that was probably from broken nut or uwharrie.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Ever since I shed some weight in the front with the aluminum 5.3, she's been riding a little high up front. Especially with the hardtop, car seats, etc. I didn't want to be accused of the squat or anything, so I threw a pair of 3/4" spring spacers in the rear too. I'm 1/8" higher in the rear as it sits now.

20210402_204014.jpg

I had noticed lately that the rear tires were getting into the plastic fender liners more often, and it was bottoming harder. Not sure what would cause that...:unsure:

20210402_200020.jpg

So she got a new set of Crown replacement bump stops too.

Ever since I shed some weight in the front with the aluminum 5.3, she's been riding a little high up front. Especially with the hardtop, car seats, etc. I didn't want to be accused of the squat or anything, so I threw a pair of 3/4" spring spacers in the rear too. I'm 1/8" higher in the rear as it sits now.

View attachment 21467

I had noticed lately that the rear tires were getting into the plastic fender liners more often, and it was bottoming harder. Not sure what would cause that...:unsure:

View attachment 21466

So she got a new set of Crown replacement bump stops too.
The chevy ones I got from you a few years ago for the front of my TJ are doign that already also.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
After doing a Ram mount in Burgundy's yukon a while back, I've missed not having them in other vehicles and wanted one in the jeep before DBBB. I bought an assortment of balls, arms, etc and put one in the 2500 and the jeep. I originally planned to use a tube light bar mount that clamps around the dash bar, but it didn't fit. Ended up just drilling and tapping a 1/4 20 hole in the cage and locktiting the crap out of it. We'll see if it holds up.

20210924_095616.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Little pre-DBBB maintenance for the LJ. Sometime recently something caught a wiring harness under the rear and broke a spade off my trans cooler temp sensor. I was able to get a new sensor here today and swapped it out, and tied the wiring up a little differently.

I've had a clunk that I could feel but never find for a while. I drove it up town aired down and with the sway bar disconnected and felt it several times. When we got back, I got Burgundy to shake the jeep and I saw the lower shock eyes just flopping around on the bar pins. Autozone had a set of bushings on the shelf so swapped those out.
20211012_195702.jpg

Little pre-DBBB maintenance for the LJ. Sometime recently something caught a wiring harness under the rear and broke a spade off my trans cooler temp sensor. I was able to get a new sensor here today and swapped it out, and tied the wiring up a little differently.

I've had a clunk that I could feel but never find for a while. I drove it up town aired down and with the sway bar disconnected and felt it several times. When we got back, I got Burgundy to shake the jeep and I saw the lower shock eyes just flopping around on the bar pins. Autozone had a set of bushings on the shelf so swapped those out.
View attachment 22143
Thats one of the worst clunks

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
A while back I ordered a Mastertop skymaster fastback replacement top that was on sale at quadratec. I wasn't sure how well it would fit with the cage, but I couldn't see out of my OEM top windows and the zippers were all pretty rough. I also didn't currently have a trail top that could have windows, so decided to give it a try.

Several things in the instructions didn't match my jeep but I figured things out and got it on last weekend. It initially had huge gaps at both sides of the rear window, but parked it in the sun today and it fits.

20220417_162356.jpg
20220417_162350.jpg
20220422_141904.jpg
This top uses the factory header bar but has its own replacement over the door bars (replaces the sunrider hinges and knuckles that are prone to failure). It also has a raised center hoop that hooks into a door surround bracket with the door bars. The rear has a bar sown in that sits on top of the cage.

With a quick trip down the road it seems much quieter than the Rampage completely frameless tops I've run before. The trip to Harlan will be a good test.

Last edited: