East Coast Adventure May 2011

Saturday was a day with less dirt road and more sight seeing for the female in our group. Although we did manage to find a really sweet road/trail through the country that led to banner elk. We started the morning like champions by baking some biscuits in the dutch oven and frying up some sausage patties.

After breakfast Andrea joked about driving so I told her she should. We had an exciting 10 mile dirt road 5speed learning experience and she did really well. We made our way up the parkway to the viaduct that I always wanted to drive over. Then we headed for Blowing rock where we did a bit of exploring and shopping and ate lunch. That is one of the most dog friendly towns I have ever been in. Very cool place to visit. Then we drove to Banner elk for a winery tour and tasting at the Banner Elk Winery. We hung out for a while there sipping on sangria and watching our dog play with a bulldog puppy named bella.

After the Winery tour we made our way to the town of linville to go to the General Store and Grist Mill to pick up some fresh ground grits. This was an alternative to our original plan of going to mabry mill near the VA line. It was not quit the same experience, but we did get some fresh ground grits...

On our way back we stopped at the linville river and as we were driving I spyed a monster truck, so of course I had to get a picture haha. After all of the hustle and bustle of the small towns of NC we went to hike the linville falls trails to see the falls before heading back to camp to make porkchops.

Attachments

Last edited:
no mast general store brooks? i know that area well my grandparents live up there and ive always wanted to do a little 4x4 explorin while i was visitin.
mast general store is like walmart, there is even one here in columbia now. there are litterally hundreds of miles of dirt roads up here to explore and tons of backcountry camping spots

Thanks for the nice comments guys, We had a blast for sure. We are shooting with a nikon d3100, I got it for Andrea for her birthday this year and we are still learning how to use it.

mast general store is like walmart, there is even one here in columbia now. there are litterally hundreds of miles of dirt roads up here to explore and tons of backcountry camping spots
wow i didnt know there where that many of them. im thinkin i might pick up some maps from SEO and explore a bit next time im up there

If I didnt know any better I would think...........................:la:

Just kidding. Looks like a really fun trip. Thx for sharing the pics.

:shaking: ^^^ L O L

good write up brooks- This is the first time I took a look at it since then-

I feel like this weekend was just as ride report worthy as that one haha

Last edited: