Beginner Crawler

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
What are some good options for a beginner's RC crawler? Bennett wants an RC car for his birthday, and I'd rather not buy him something from Walmart that will break in the first week...

I have an SCX10 and a few 2S lipo batteries if that sways the decision.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Stopped by the local hobby shopped and played around with an SCX24. Bennett rolled it twice in like 15 seconds. That's probably top of the list unless someone else has some input.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
An older model SCX10 like yours, or a TRX4 sport would be a great option. Put some wider tires on it that give it some cushion.
I had also thought about gearing mine back down to something slower and letting him have it, and getting something else for me... but mine is pretty rough.

We got a trx-4 last year for my son's birthday and he has beat the crap out of it. He has toasted a motor and i steering servo already on it and i think he striped the steering arm out on it last weeked but i have not had time to take it apart yet.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Bennett got his truck yesterday. I was impressed with the battery life. He played with the yellow one for a long time during during party. Last night he got it back out and it died after about 5 minutes.

It was the first thing he went for this Morning.

Thanks @97TJGUZZY for the course!
FB_IMG_1621254148695.jpg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We have our first carnage. I think the lower screw came out of the shock, then the top eyelet broke. Shock is somewhere in the yard. Can't get a replacement set before Monday, so I'll have to let him play with the white one or steal parts off it.

Let the upgrades begin....

64163.jpeg

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
We're back up and running with aluminum front housing and bling shocks. Only did the front for now because he was anxious to play with it.

20210524_174032.jpg

20210524_185612.jpg

20210524_185624.jpg

20210524_191947.jpg