46 Willys-Overland CJ-2A

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Well, my dad is passing on his '46 Willys to me. I guess after years of bugging him about it, he finally gave in. The Jeep was purchased new by my Grandpa for use on the farm (in Ohio). It filled that roll for it's operational life until the starter went out and then it has sat ever since. I have personally never seen it move under it's own power. The engine is frozen and it has seen better days. The positive is that it has been garage kept for as long as I have known.

When I was little, I helped my dad try to restore it but didn't get very far.

My plans are to take it back to factory specs and appearance. Use it to cruise in and hopefully get it back up to Ohio so my dad can enjoy it a bit too.

Anyone with resources that may assist me in this project, post up. I have a feeling I will need as much help as possible finding parts.

Here are some pics of how it sits at the moment.

Awesome project Greg. I found one almost identical too it years back in a barn. Would be a fun little cruiser and around the town. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it b

Thats really cool Greg! I think Shane has one with a similar story as well. I'm sure Dan would be a wealth of knowledge on this rebuild.

The engine could be fine if it was running good the last time and has been kept in doors. Piston rings could just be stuck too the cylinder walls with some light surface rust. Soak the cylinder walls down with some penetration oil and it might free up.

Good project. Looks to be an early CJ2a, with the bullet lights in the grill. Does it have the tool indents on the side of the body?

Go over to www.earlycj5.net

You will learn everything you need to know and then some. I am a mod over there, join on up.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Cool! What's the condition of the body? Are you going to try to rebuild the motor or find a replacement?
It has been tucked away for a long time. The last time I was around it (these pictures were taken by my sister), I was only about 8 or 9. And at that time my dad was replacing a lot of the sheet metal around the back of the tub. I do believe he eliminated the tailgate due to rust. I plan to restore it back. I will rebuild the original engine.

My dad said it was Picket Grey originally (primer in the photo).

The engine could be fine if it was running good the last time and has been kept in doors. Piston rings could just be stuck too the cylinder walls with some light surface rust. Soak the cylinder walls down with some penetration oil and it might free up.
Ive always heard Kerosene will usually break them loose as well.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Me and my dad went out in his little barn and took a look at it over Thanksgiving. It's amazing how solid the metal is. Took a look under the hood and it's really cool looking at the inner fenders and such. All straight metal and sharp angles. I wasn't able (or I guess willing at the time) to get down and look at the frame. I'm planning on going to get it early to mid 2013 and bring it down. I can't wait to get to work on it.

There is a group in Columbia that all they do is rebuild these things. They have engines and all kinds of parts and knowledge. If you want to get in involved, let me know. I can get you in touch with them.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
There is a group in Columbia that all they do is rebuild these things. They have engines and all kinds of parts and knowledge. If you want to get in involved, let me know. I can get you in touch with them.
That would be great. I would appreciate any leads I can get for when I begin this project.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Finally! I will be heading up to Ohio at the end of May and will be bringing the Willys back with me. I will then be able to give it an assessment. Probably won't do anything to it for a couple months. Not sure yet.

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Looking forward to this greg. Is it a column shift or floor shift?

http://www.thecj2apage.com/ has a lot of info about early jeeps ive found.
It's a floor shift. I always heard stories of people that learned to drive a stick in that Willys driving around the farm and in the fields. They said you need to keep your hand on the shifter or the slightest bump will make it pop out of gear. Will need to look into that.

If it pops out of gear, the tranny will need new synchros. That is the tell tale sign of a t90 needing a rebuild. Even with the old willys you do not need to hold the shifter in gear, unless the synchros are worn out

WolfGT

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Talked to dad about the trans, he said that it's second gear that you need to hold it. He said it is a result of towing so many 7 ton wagons to town to sell the corn. I can't imagine towing such a load with such a small vehicle.

I'm here in Ohio and we just got it loaded up. Figured I would post some pics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401726003.190710.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401726025.172602.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401726051.158005.jpg

I took a lot more pics of the extraction and loading. I'll post more later today when I get better signal.

The frame is solid as a rock.