2020 CO/Moab Wheelin' Trip Planning

Some other notes I forgot:

1. Throw in a spare engine air filter. It can get very dusty out there. Easier to remote old dusty one and replace vs beating up your old one and damaging it.

2. Make sure you have some sort of OBD2 scanner. I did have a MAF code when I was idling a lot at like, 11,000ft. I think it was just thin air at low flow for too long. Pissed off the Lord of Darkness.

3. In Moab I needed a bit of work on my rover, Point S Moab Tire and Auto was a bunch of great guys. If your rig needs work, get it done in Moab. Ain't crap in Ouray.

4. On that note, Durango and Montrose are the "real" towns out there. Everything else is bare bones. But both of those towns have auto parts stores, good grocery stores, anything else you need.

I just read an article about someone dying of heat related out in The Maze. They found his body half a mile from the car. In Moab in May, my dad (he is old, but in good shape, but he isn't exercising) was struggling on a short 3 mile Arches hike. I could tell it my body was working extra. In Colorado my dad got altitude sickness quite a bit. I only got it once when we did Mt. Rogers (BTW, super cool spot to check out). But at 10,000ft when we were setting up tents, we had to have the camp chairs out and just stop and sit occasionally. I'm used to working on setting up camp straight through, then BAM. Nope.

Here is the article about the guy dying from heat:

https://expeditionportal.com/death-...dlVsc6F0qn3mGoq04K_bIvs74LXTCT5P_wPb0xwpY2sw4

Hopefully the CO wildfires get contained in the next couple weeks or we are going to have to re-route and miss Holy Cross. That would be a major blow to the trip for me but shit happens....

I say we tag along with Matt Tuesday and Wednesday. Sunday is up in the air as it depends on how our trip goes. If we can join them for top of the world, we will. If not, we could do that Monday or Thursday. If we don't ride Sunday, I dont know that I would want to start with Pritchett.

9/6 Sunday: ?
9/7 Monday: Top of the world
9/8 Tuesday: Hells Revenge, Fins & Things, Rusty Nail to Golden Spike
9/9 Wednesday: Poison Spyder Mesa and Moab Rim.
9/10: Pritchett

Matt's original:
9/6 Sunday: Top of the world trail. Day long trail. Not extremely difficult. If day goes well, get some RZR time in.
9/7 Monday: Pritchett Canyon. Day long trail. Difficult.
9/8 Tuesday: Hells Revenge, Fins & Things, Rusty Nail to Golden Spike
9/9 Wednesday: Poison Spyder Mesa and Moab Rim.

My input: Hell's Revenge is a good start, Fins & Things was like a smaller version of hell's revenge, its in the same area and there aren't any big/interesting obstacles on that trail.
We could head to potato salad hill on Sunday depending on when you guys get there, its right near town and right off the paved road. It's not as crazy as all the videos would make you believe.
We did poison spider mesa to where eagles dare to golden spike to gold bar rim. It was a long day, with the highlight being the golden crack about halfway through. Where eagles dare was wild though, its similar to hells revenge, but way steeper. The direction we went would of been downhill on rusty nail so we skipped that. But Rusty nail sounds like a good one.
We went to the top of moab rim but didn't complete the full trail, it'll be a good one.
We did kane creek as well, it was a full day, the last 1/3 of the trail was the most interesting. the first half is mostly out in desert like terrain, it was hot. The creek got up to my floor deep in some areas, and one spot we had to back up and find a shallower way. theres a difficult climb at the end called hamburger hill. Its a good one but not super high on my list of trails to redo. And its further from town than alot of other trails.
Pritchett canyon was my favorite by far, I might would move that to Wednesday. It was an all day trail, when you're done its a 30 mile ride back to town. About half off pavement and some of it is too rough to go fast so it took a while.
Looks like its going to be hot though, so I think we should plan to start early in the day or way later in the day. Most trails don't have any shade so finding a good lunch spot was difficult.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
My input: Hell's Revenge is a good start, Fins & Things was like a smaller version of hell's revenge, its in the same area and there aren't any big/interesting obstacles on that trail.
We could head to potato salad hill on Sunday depending on when you guys get there, its right near town and right off the paved road. It's not as crazy as all the videos would make you believe.
We did poison spider mesa to where eagles dare to golden spike to gold bar rim. It was a long day, with the highlight being the golden crack about halfway through. Where eagles dare was wild though, its similar to hells revenge, but way steeper. The direction we went would of been downhill on rusty nail so we skipped that. But Rusty nail sounds like a good one.
We went to the top of moab rim but didn't complete the full trail, it'll be a good one.
We did kane creek as well, it was a full day, the last 1/3 of the trail was the most interesting. the first half is mostly out in desert like terrain, it was hot. The creek got up to my floor deep in some areas, and one spot we had to back up and find a shallower way. theres a difficult climb at the end called hamburger hill. Its a good one but not super high on my list of trails to redo. And its further from town than alot of other trails.
Pritchett canyon was my favorite by far, I might would move that to Wednesday. It was an all day trail, when you're done its a 30 mile ride back to town. About half off pavement and some of it is too rough to go fast so it took a while.
Looks like its going to be hot though, so I think we should plan to start early in the day or way later in the day. Most trails don't have any shade so finding a good lunch spot was difficult.
I'd say start early and try to get back to the condo for dinner and relaxing.

Life clearly isn't going to make this trip easy.

Brakes on the CJ still giving me a bit of a fit.... Work started off like a Kenosha riot this morning.... If it keeps up we may be having a longer vacation....

are there any passes or permits needed for anything out there?
Short answer: No.

In Moab, if you want to get into Canyonlands or arches, you will need a pass. But these are readily available. For both locations, unless you do are going to go over to The Maze or do White Rim trail, just fly in and rent. We did an arches hike that was unbelievable and Grand View Point Overlook was unbelievable.

In Colorado, if its a road, and there isn't a "no trespassing sign" its pretty much good to go. Stay on the trail as they are having issues with others not understanding this concept.