SC Motor Vehicle Fuel Tax Credit

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
Nora has the flu so I stayed home with her yesterday and got through most of my taxes. Has anyone else been saving gas receipts for the fuel tax credit?

We saved receipts for all gas and maintenance in my truck, jeep, and wife's yukon xl. Combined 2,050 gallons of fuel saved us a whopping $39... I had not been able to find details on what it would actually save earlier last year, and hadn't really thought about it since. The calculation is gallons x $0.03 x 0.634. And, its the lesser of that value or maintenance cost.

On the humorous side, I only put 9 tanks of gas in the jeep last year. 2 of which were in Harlan county and the receipt doesnt show gallons or price per gallon, only total charge. So I could declare 7 tanks, 75 gallons...

I did a basic calculation and entered it to check the difference, but I couldnt come close to the standard deduction this year with all of my itemized parts.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I did a basic calculation and entered it to check the difference, but I couldnt come close to the standard deduction this year with all of my itemized parts.
This credit is state only and doesnt matter about standard deduction.

I didnt even enter my vehicle tax, property tax, etc this year because the standard deduction is so high. The software told me I could enter if I wanted to check anyway, but it wouldn't be beneficial.

This credit is state only and doesnt matter about standard deduction.

I didnt even enter my vehicle tax, property tax, etc this year because the standard deduction is so high. The software told me I could enter if I wanted to check anyway, but it wouldn't be beneficial.
Ah, your right.

I think I got $38 or so back. I only did it as a matter of principle. I know they are banking on people not applying for this credit in the hopes of getting a bit more cash, but not from me dammit!