Proposed Club Vehicle Requirements

Required Vehicle Equipment

1. Valid Driver's License
2. Fire Extinguisher (1A10BC Dry Chemical) - These are commonly available at any WallMart, Home Depot, Lowes, Sam's, Costco, or other homecenters. Common cost is typically in the $10-20 range depending on size/features.
3. Basic First Aid Kit -- These can commonly be found for $20 or less. The most comprehensive one we've seen is available at Sam's Club for about $20.
4. Tow rope or strap (Note: Straps and ropes with hooks are not acceptable). As a minimum, straps must be 2" wide, rated for 10,000 pounds, and at least 20' in length. In addition to the many fine off-road suppliers, these and other common recovery necessities are commonly available at WalMart and/or Northern Tool.
5. Safety belts (one for each occupant). This is non-negotiable. All individuals must be properly restrained by factory or better equipment (for their own safety) inside any moving vehicle on a club ride.
6. Spare tire, jack, and lug wrench. (Note: The spare tire must be within one inch of the diameter of the vehicle tires. Exceptions are made for vehicles with 38" tires or larger due to weight and physical size.)
7. Front and Rear tow points. These MUST BE FRAME MOUNTED in one manner or another. The hardware is typically available at any off-road supplier or auto-parts store.

What about tree savers? Do you want to make safety a concern? NO tow chains, only straps, D Rings Rated to a certain WT? I know you can get a cheap D Ring not rated for offroading for cheap, and it looks like a rated one....

Tree savers are a good idea for anyone who has a winch, but I made this list fairly simple as I figured many people would be upset with the list. There has been very little in the way of technical requirements up to this point. I didnt want to scare anyone away. I have some other ideas to discuss for this list that Larry, Linus, and I came up with. I will bring them up at the meeting.

Let people get pissed. Who cares? It's a requirement for their own safety for the most part. I have seen some of our members snatching vehicles through an obstacle with a 15'x1" rope that had hooked ends.You could literally see the hook stretch!
I also see people take a winch cable, wrap it around a tree, and hook it back to the cable! Seen a winch cable routed around a tree, and to the next tree instead of a snatch block.
I'm not trying to be nasty, or to pick on any one in particular. I will however be beyond pissed if you are recovering & i get hurt because of stupidity, or just being cheap!
Trail safety is a big deal. Most of you are ill equipped, and that's not a big deal. I'm all for inforcing a rule on basic safety & first aid.
I'll be happy to actually show any one who wants to learn how to recover a vehicle safely, and correctly. You don't have to spend a fortune to get decent, safe equipment. I can even help ya track some of it down.

agreed. Recovery gear is cheap when you think about the cost of what happens or could happen when it fails. I picked my stuff up for less than $100 bucks....Snatch Block, D-Rings, TreeSaver and Tow strap with loops instead of hooks. Ebay is your friend. Just dont buy used gear....

All of which not totally different from the Ultimate Adventure req. minus lockers and tire size. It's good requirements are being made, wheeling with someone unprepared is no fun and unfair to those who do go prepared.

Hey Greasemonkey, I'd like to take you up on your offer on showing me how to do a proper recovery. Might be a good class to be given during a club ride in the not so distant future.

Im sure everyone does this already, but we should prob.. add tool kit to that list. I got a norther tool kit for my jeep for like $80 bucks and its just about everything I need for trail fixes!

The spare tire requirement is the biggest problem I have with this deal. I have no reason to have a spare, nor will I buy a spare. I have a nice comfy truck and trailer to get my rig back home on. I definitely agree if a club trip planned and several rigs are driving there and back they should have a spare with them. Basically if I'm on a trail and blow a tire out in some way it would have to be pulled to a flat spot to get the tire changed anyway and by the time I'm on the flat spot I might as well limp it out. My opinion might be a little different if I was wheeling a larger rig, but the sammy just doesn't allow running a spare thats 33" or larger...for safety reasons even. I'll look around and find a stock toyota tire and wheel and throw it on the trailer just in case I have to drive a longer than usual distance out of a trail, but I won't be brining a "full size" spare with me.

The CB's are "cool" to a certain extent, but really only when you're driving down the interstate. Once you're on the trail you're moving so slow...just get out and talk. On the trips...like the upcoming triip to Bumpus Cove I see where they might be good to talk back and forth, but there again I won't be installing one in my tow rig. Maybe it's that I'm getting older, but even though I have a brand new stereo in my rig and have a good CB sitting on the shelf, I really really really prefer the quiet...no loud music and noone chatting about how many beers they drank the night before while I'm wheeling. I guess I might try a handheld...

As far as the other requirements such as fire extinguishers, tow straps, first aid kits, etc. I AGREE. It might be better to "strongly recommend" some of these items rather than require them. You might turn potential members, or participants away if they feel like they can't come just because they don't have something.

I just noticed that you changed a few things in the meeting minutes but they haven't been updated here.

Last edited:
I would assume that trailer queens would get a pass on the tire. ;)

The cb is a fairly cheap thing to get and in case you get separated would be beneficial.

The extinguisher, and first aid kit is rather important. Tools and straps are something to work on for most.

I'm hoping that's the case otherwise I'lll just have to be a "stranger" that tags along with the group.

And for what it's worth my rig is still registered and insured...it only rides the trailer to keep my wife happy cuz otherwise I'd drive it to the trail.

DSC_1758-1-1.jpg

Last edited: