Okra strut parade 9-24-11

I'll fax the application tomorrow and keep you guys posted. How many people would participate?

Here's rules:

2011 Parade Information and Guidelines
The parade will begin at 9:00 AM and proceed down St. Andrews Road from Crossroads Middle School to
Lake Murray Boulevard.
If accepted, you will be mailed a confirmation indicating your check-in and assembly instructions and a map
indicating your line -up location. Below is a list of guidelines FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL CONCERNED that
you must adhere to in order to participate. Please read them carefully and if you have any questions, please
contact the festival management office.
1. All units must be designed, built and operated in a manner, which is safe for participants and spectators.
2. Due to the size of the parade, the Okra Strut Commission and the Administrator have the right to limit the number
of participants as well as the number of vehicles in the parade. This notice will be indicated on your confirmation.
3. All parade participants must be responsible for their own transportation.
4. Each unit should include a sign or placard stating the name of the entry and sponsor.
5. Children under the age of 14 must have adult supervision during the event.
6. Small children walking in the parade must have approved transportation on hand, or someone willing and able to
carry them should they tire.
7. Only trained horses and experienced riders will be allowed to participate in the parade. Horses must be diapered or
owners must provide clean-up crews to follow the horses. Clean up during the parade as well as before and after
will be the responsibility of the owner and/or rider.
8. THE THROWING OF GUM, CANDY AND/OR OTHER MATERIAL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED – NO
EXCEPTIONS. You are permitted to hand out material while walking with the parade as long as the material is
placed in someone’s hand and not dropped on the ground.
9. If your entry includes the use of music, either live or recorded, you must notify the festival office. Music entries
will be placed in the parade in such a way that conflicts between sound will be at a minimum. If your application
does not indicate use of music, please contact the office or you may be forced to do without your music.
10. DUE TO THE VOLUME OF UNITS IN THIS PARADE, ABSOLUTELY NO UNIT MAY STOP THE
PARADE for performances or any activity. ANY UNIT THAT STOPS THE PARADE WILL BE PENALIZED.
11. Although costuming and manner of dress is left to each organization or entry, all participants must dress in a
tasteful manner. Participants must keep in mind that this is a family oriented event.
12. NO WALKING VENDORS WILL BE PERMITTED ALONG THE PARADE ROUTE unless previously
approved by the Okra Strut Commission.
13. NO PARTICIPANT OR ORGANIZATION WILL BE PERMITTED TO DISTRIBUTE OR LEAVE ANY
MATERIAL (fliers, newspapers, etc) ALONG THE PARADE ROUTE.
14. The Okra Strut Commission reserves the right to prohibit participation of any entry deemed unsafe or in bad taste.
The Commission also reserves the right to remove any entry or participant from the parade when the actions of that
entry or its participants present a danger to spectators or participants. Decisions of the Commission and/or its
delegates will be final.
15. ALL UNITS MUST FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS OF PARADE OFFICIALS.
Applications and all correspondence must be faxed or mailed to:
2011 OKRA STRUT COMMISSION • P.O. Box 406 • Irmo, SC 29063
(803) 781-7050 PHONE / (803) 749-2743 FAX

Parade was fun! Thanks to Miller, Gillis, Jim, and Chris for coming out! I woke up around 7 that day thinking it was going to be cancelled, but after staring at the radar map on my phone I dragged myself out of bed and got to Irmo. Rain stopped at perfect time before staging started. We were treated to Ms.West Charleston staging right behind us on her float. We rolled out with Gillis leading the convoy with each model of Wrangler represented from newest to oldest and Miller in the middle with his Cherokee. ...he [cough] wimped out and didn't bring the buggy cause he didn't want to get wet. lol

Fun crowd, lots of waving, normal parade mall crawler stuff that I'm a sucker for. Gillis treated us with krispy kremes at the end.

I'll look into getting us in Elgin catfish stomp parade and the st paddy's parade if folks are interested.