Dana 60 Wheel Studs

Figured @gubni may be a good source of info on this...

Having a tough time finding a decent price on some longer wheel studs for a 60F. Anyone have any part numbers that work? I have been doing some research and reading old Pirate4x4 threads but if someone already knows the answer that would save me a night of Jeep homework that should really be spent in the shop turning wrenches.

I can't find my parts list from harrys build, but i had this from the D60 bible, not sure it helps as it was for a Chevy axle i think.

A note on studs:

Basically when they list studs, they list the thread and pitch of the studs (i.e.: 9/16-18 or whatever), the length of the stud (which is the length of
the part the lug nuts thread on to), and diameter of the 'knurl', which is the splined part of the stud, and often the length of the knurl (called the
shoulder length).

Dorman part # 610 - 283 is the part number for the STANDARD 1 ton Chevy, it fits 77-91 Chevy trucks. 9/16-18 thread, 2 17/32
long, .650 shoulder, 15/16 shoulder length.

Dorman part # 610 - 303 - fits 77-91 Chevy trucks. 9/16-18 thread, 3 inches long, .678 shoulder, 15/16 shoulder length. It is
identical in most measurements (including thread) to the 610-283, except that it is somewhat longer and has a knurl of .678. In actuality, the ones I measured never mic'd to more than .672.

My friend Chad who did a DRW-SRW conversion reports:

"If you find that even Dorman 303 is too small, Bicknell Racing Products sells a wheel stud, part number BRP2059, which is 5/8 Course thread, 2.75
inches long, .685 shoulder with a .800 shoulder length. This stud was meant to be used in a hole drilled out to 43/64, which is the exact size of the
hole I used, so this is the stud I ended up using, and I can report that it fits quite nicely into a 43/64 hole. They also sell another wheel stud,
BRP2075, which is exactly the same, but 3.75 inches long. The shorter stud worked fine in my application, but some people may want more stud sticking
out. BRP2051 is the lug nut that matches, but I think any 5/8 course lug nut would work fine."

The important thing here is to select the studs you need to use FIRST, measure the knurl diameter carefully (mic it) and then have the holes drilled slightly undersize for a proper tight interference fit. Standard class V interference fit (tight - semi-perm. assembly) the interference (shaft bigger than hole) should be between 3 and 18 thou. Given this, and the fact that the measurement of the knurl will be the major diameter of the splines, I would shoot for a 15 thou undersize hole. Given the measured knurl size of .672, this would mean a hole diameter of .657. A 21/32 drill bit is .656250, yielding an interference fit of 15.7 thou. That should be just about perfect, but MEASURE TWICE, drill once!

Mine will be 9/16 with the new hubs. I went with stock replacement. I’ll see what kind of thread I have through the trail readys and make a judgement call this weekend.

I will be glad to help, but hit me up on facebook for quicker replies. Front or rear axle? Ford, Chevy, or Dodge?

For Chevy - Dodge front 610-563 are the stud you want. They generally are about $10 each. In a week or two I will have them for $8 each. I have no idea why they are so expensive. Most other studs are $3 or less.

I will be glad to help, but hit me up on facebook for quicker replies. Front or rear axle? Ford, Chevy, or Dodge?

For Chevy - Dodge front 610-563 are the stud you want. They generally are about $10 each. In a week or two I will have them for $8 each. I have no idea why they are so expensive. Most other studs are $3 or less.
from a post on pirate from a guy that worked at dorman, it was a special stud that dorman originally didnt want to make. They are a lower quantity stud so its more expensive.

from a post on pirate from a guy that worked at dorman, it was a special stud that dorman originally didnt want to make. They are a lower quantity stud so its more expensive.
Same thing I read. I went with the stock ones and I will see how they look on the wheels. If they are too short, I'll change them.