Concrete Question

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
I need to pour a small pad, probably around 2'x3', 4-6" deep on top of an existing slab. The existing slab is smooth, but not polished or sealed or anything.

Would I be able to do this with some bags of quickcrete? Will it bond to the existing floor or will I end up with a huge paperweight? Would the reinforcement mesh prevent a pad that size from cracking?

If I were doing it I would install some kind of anchors to the one I am pouring on to. That way you Lock it to it. And I would use a piece of concrete wire in it so everything is bonding as one chunk. Not a lot of extra work for the peace of mind knowing that it is not going anywhere.

LBarr2002

LIFETIME
SUPPORTER
If I were doing it I would install some kind of anchors to the one I am pouring on to. That way you Lock it to it. And I would use a piece of concrete wire in it so everything is bonding as one chunk. Not a lot of extra work for the peace of mind knowing that it is not going anywhere.
Good idea. I could probably drill a couple inches into the existing pad and insert some 4-5 inch pieces of rebar.

That should be fine just try to make the rebar as tight as possible, maybe use some of the slurry from the new concrete to make sure they are anchored snug.

Larry, drilling in rebar without using epoxy to anchor it into the old slab will not attach it to the bottom slab but it will keep it from sliding on top of the old slab. What you can do is drill in some "tapcon" type screws into the old slab and leave them sticking out of the old slab a few inches, but not above the finish height of the new slab. Lay the rebar horizontally in your pour (or wire mesh), and you're good to go. On a 2x3 I would use about 6 screws evenly placed. Google "tapcon", it's a specific brand name but Lowes has similar screws made by another company.